2.5
Insurance Plans Acceptance
Prescription Services
Turnaround Time

I've been using Omnipod for about 4 months now. The worst is the pod failures.

Originally, this resulted in insulin loss for me because I wasn't aware that at least some insulin could be recovered by retracting it from the insertion spot with a syringe. Still...annoying and messy. On top of that, to have a pod failure when you're at work or somewhere where you can't access a new pod for a good deal of time is pretty much just accepting the fact that you'll be high for the day. I mean how many backup pods can you carry around with you?

Random pods will not have nearly enough adhesive causing them to fall off...another waste of insulin. Customer service is willing to help and will replace pods and refund up to $50/year (I think) for lost insulin but the process is grueling especially if you don't have every little detail recorded - date/time, amount of insulin lost, what you were doing when it happened, did it cause you to seek medical attention, etc. The beeps in the middle of the night are also so annoying. As my endocrinologist pointed out, they're important to keep you safe but I'd prefer to have the option to silence certain alerts.

This is my first time using a pump and switching to a tubed pump doesn't seem worth it but I've considered going back to flexpens multiple times. The only thing that's kept me from doing so is the basal insulin delivery available with a pump. I think basal insulin really helps keep things regulated. Plus, you don't need a secondary slow acting insulin like you do when you use fast acting insulin pens.

All in all, I really don't know. The frustration is undeniable but there are small conveniences.

I think my greatest wish would be the option to submit a complaint/claim for pod failures and communicate with customer service online rather than via phone call. This is 2018 and everyone knows that with the value of convenience, pod failures or other issues can be overlooked.

Review about: Omnipod Insulin Pump.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Rate of pod failures.

Comments